Thursday, May 13, 2010

Farmers Market


Interview with seller at Chula Vista's Farmers Market.

What is your name and your role here at the Farmers Market?
My is Ester and I'm here to sell my products.

Why do you chose to sell here at the Farmers Market?
I have sold these products for 20 years. It's a family business and they grow and sell the food.

When did you first start selling here?
I've sold here for 16 years. since it started.

Do you have a garden at home?
Yes, and Orchid.

What would be your advice to get others to do what you do?
The food I sell is much better and it has no pesticides and its a lot healthier than other food.
For the people that sell here I would tell them to keep on selling their produce so this can keep on going.

Reflection

What struck you about the location you visited? Was it what you expected, or very different?
-Well when we were there, there wasn't a lot of people and I thought there was going to be a lot more people. They didn't only sell food there was also other things like jewelry and decorations. I though they would only sell food.

Which items were cheaper than you expected? Which were more expensive?
-There wasn't anything cheaper than the food that you would buy at a grocery store. The fruit was the most expensive there but it's organic and a lot better than the non-organic food.

Do you think you will start going to a farmers market more often? Or using a community garden? Or supporting a CSA?
-I think we will start going to a farmers market often because even though the fruit seemed expensive it looked more yummy than the fruit you buy at a grocery store and the jewelry was pretty too.

How do these locations fit into our essential question of "Why Don't People Live More Sustainably?" and "How Can I Convince them to do so?"
-These locations do in fact fit into the questions. The reason I think people don't live more sustainably is because its more expensive and harder to buy from a farmers market. I think people just need to be informed and motivated about buying better food. Many people don't know why it is more expensive and how it is worth it.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyyyy wifeyyy,

    Well everything that you said its really interesting.

    And well I also agree with cindy that I agree with everything that you said . (:

    Ohhh andd alsooo I likee how YOU' AND JOCELYN lOokk in thE piiCtureee' loookinnggg niceee (; ahahahaha JaRed looksss funnyy (in a good wayy) =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how detailed your reflection was. It helped me to see how you were feeling at the farmers market. It made me think when you said that ester sold food for 20 years. That these markets have been around for that long is amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said about the fruits being expensive but looked really good. I tried some cherries, there were GOOD like what you call good and they didn't taste anything like the ones you would buy in the grocery store.

    The thing that made me think is how different organic fruit taste from the grocery fruit. I didn't really see what people meant by they tasted different, but when I went to the Farmers Market I saw what they meant.


    Everything you wrote about I agree with. We went to the same Farmers Market and both interviewed Ester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I really like the way you put your own opinion of what you thought about the Farmers Market and everything that was related to it. The thing that got me thinking was why the strawberries were more expensive, well I guess because they looked really juicy and they were fresh, you know what I mean. Well yea you did a great job Adri.

    ReplyDelete