Monday, September 28, 2009

S.L.O.B Lily's deleted scene


I heard Rosaleen keep talking to Neil and June. “I haven’t registered myself to vote. I don’t know what’s the point they ain’t gonna let a black person vote.” Neil said. I thought how left out I felt. My white skin felt whiter then ever, lately the color of my skin has been bothering me more. I wished that I could have dark skin, too or that every one could have the same color skin. The world would be so much better there would be no racism.
I started listening to Rosaleen say “Yea, I was on my way to vote when, some white men got in my way.” I closed my eyes hoping Rosaleen wouldn’t give us away by telling her story. “So, I just told made my way passed them minding my own business but, I didn’t go vote.” I realized for once Rosaleen started to go with my plan. I heard a chair move, Neil was probably sitting down. A plate was put on the table; June was serving Neil his pancakes. “Why didn’t you go vote?” asked Neil. Roasleen fidgeted “Oh, cause you know… it was too hot that day to keep walking.” It didn’t make sense but, she didn’t let out our story.
I stared wondering around I found May by here wailing wall. She was scribbling on a piece of paper. I started thinking on these sisters lived with so many different traditions and religious beliefs. I had never liked any sort of religion but, I really like how theirs worked. I got near she was still sniffling. I asked May, “You better, now?” she looked at me with her teary eyes and tried to smile “Yea.” She folded the little piece of paper and stuck it into the wall. “You know if you ever need something, you should put your prayer in a piece of paper and stick it in the wall. It really works.” I smiled and thought how I could probably fill the wall up with prayers of my own. “Yea, thank you.” She got up well, “I better go keep making those pancakes. What happened to your L for Lily pancake?” I remembered my burned up L for Lily pancake that got burned and thrown into the trash. I blushed “Oh well, it got burned.” I hoping this wouldn’t upset her and make her go back to the wall again. She started humming again. I quickly said “See, that way you can go make me another.” She stopped humming looked at me and said “Good idea.”
We walked back into the pink house towards the kitchen. June was there with Rosaleen and Neil was getting up from his chair to leave. “Thank you, June for the Pancakes. I’ll see you later, Excuse me.” He told every one else and he left out the screen door. Lily started making my L for Lily pancake. She put it on a plate and gave it to me; I drowned it with honey and started eating. June asked “I thought you weren’t hungry?” I looked at her and with pieces of pancake in my mouth said “I am now.” And ate up my L for Lily pancake.

5 comments:

  1. I loved how you talk about how Lily thinks everyone should just have had the same color skin. The use of dialogue was also really good in this. You are a really great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LiKE THE WAy yOU REALLY PAid ATTENTiON ON dESCRibiNG HOW SHE FELT AbOUT HER SKiN bEiNG AROUNd ALL THESE COLOREd PEOPLE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you said my white skin felt whiter then ever because it gave me a clear picture on how white lily really was

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that was amazing. I love how you wrote about the pancakes and how you took the reader into Lily's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how u said that lily's skin was really whiter than ever i could have seen her skin actually get white in my mind.

    ReplyDelete